Bananas are among the most popular fruits on earth. they are extremely healthy and delicious. They contain several essential nutrients, and have benefits for digestion, heart health and weight loss. Aside from being very nutritious, they are also a highly convenient snack food.
There are many types of bananas available, which vary in color, size and shape. The most common type is the yellow banana, which is green when unripe. Bananas contain a fair amount of fiber, as well as several antioxidants. One medium-sized banana (118 grams) also contains:
- Potassium:9% of the RDI.
- Vitamin B6:33% of the RDI.
- Vitamin C:11% of the RDI.
- Magnesium:8% of the RDI.
- Copper:10% of the RDI.
- Manganese:14% of the RDI.
- Net carbs:24 grams.
- Fiber:1 grams.
- Protein:3 grams.
- Fat:4 grams.
Each banana contains only about 105 calories, and consists almost exclusively of water and carbs. Bananas contain very little protein and almost no fat.
The carbs in unripe (green) bananas consist mostly of starch and resistant starch, but as the banana ripens, the starch turns into sugar (glucose, fructose and sucrose).
Here are 10 health benefits of bananas that are supported by scientific research.
- Bananas contain nutrients that can help moderate blood sugar levels after meals. They may also reduce appetite by slowing stomach emptying.
- Bananas are fairly rich in fiber and resistant starch, which may feed the friendly gut bacteria and help protect against colon cancer.
- Bananas may help with weight loss. They are low in calories, high in nutrients and fiber, and may have appetite-reducing effects.
- Bananas are a good dietary source of potassium and magnesium, two nutrients that are essential for heart health.
- Bananas are high in several antioxidants, which may help reduce damage from free radicals and lower the risk of some diseases.
- Bananas contain high amounts of resistant starch or pectin, depending on ripeness. Both may reduce appetite and help keep you full.
- Unripe bananas are a good source of resistant starch, which may improve insulin sensitivity. However, more research is needed.
- Eating a banana several times a week may reduce the risk of kidney disease by up to 50%.
- Bananas may help relieve muscle cramps caused by exercise. They also provide excellent fuel for endurance exercise.
- Bananas Are Easy to Add to Your Diet