This tofu curry recipe has a rich and spicy tomato-based sauce studded with cubes of pressed, baked tofu. Serve with brown rice and naan bread to sop up any remaining sauce.
- 1 14- to 16-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1½-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into ½-inch strips
- 9 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro stems plus ¼ cup chopped leaves, divided
- ½ cup whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Curry Spice Blend
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seeds (not pods)
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico Chile powder or paprika
- 1½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To prepare tofu & eggplant: Cut tofu crosswise into 8 equal pieces and press for 1 to 4 hours (see Tips).
- Meanwhile, toss eggplant with ½ teaspoon salt in a colander. Drain for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- To prepare curry spice blend: Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add coriander, cumin, fennel, fenugreek, peppercorns and cardamom. Toast the spices, stirring constantly, until aromatic and starting to smoke, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Grind in a spice grinder (such as a clean coffee grinder) or mortar and pestle. Return to the bowl and stir in Chile powder (or paprika), turmeric, crushed red pepper and cinnamon.
- To prepare curry: Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 400°F.
- Toss chicken with 1 tablespoon of the curry spice and ½ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the tofu into cubes. Toss with 1 table-spoon oil in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon curry spice, cornstarch and ½ teaspoon salt and toss again. Spread on the prepared baking sheet.
- Rinse the eggplant and pat dry. Toss with 4 tablespoons oil and 2 teaspoons curry spice in a medium bowl. Spread on another baking sheet.
- Roast the tofu on the lower rack, turning once halfway, until lightly browned and beginning to crisp, about 30 minutes. Roast the eggplant on the upper rack, turning once halfway, until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove to a bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, onion and ginger; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until the onion is quite soft, 7 to 9 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add the remaining curry spice and stir to coat.
- Add tomatoes, broth and cilantro stems, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Stir in yogurt, then the chicken and tofu. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Stir in the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with cilantro leaves.
- To make ahead: Store spice blend (Step 3) at room temperature for up to 1 week. Refrigerate chicken (Step 5) for up to 1 day.
- Tips: To press tofu: Cut a 14- to 16-ounce block of tofu crosswise into 8 equal pieces. Place a clean kitchen towel on a baking sheet. Place the tofu on the towel in a single layer; cover with another towel. Place another baking sheet on top and weight it with two 28-ounce cans. Let stand for 1 to 4 hours.
- Serving size: 1¼ cups each
- Per serving: 396 calories; 26 g fat(5 g sat); 6 g fiber; 18 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 36 mcg floated; 59 mg cholesterol; 8 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 987 IU vitamin A; 13 mg vitamin C; 218 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 528 mg sodium; 780 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (22% daily value), Iron (22% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1
- Exchanges: 2½ vegetable, 2½ lean protein, ½ medium-fat protein, 3 fat.