Simple, quick, delicious, healthy one pot lentil & steel cut oats recipe. Whole oat groats, Instant oatmeal, rolled oats & steel cut oats are some of the types available in the market. All of these have nearly the same nutrition profile except the whole groats & steel cuts have twice the amount of fiber than the rolled oats & Instant oats.
Quick, healthy and delicious one pot dish made using skinned split mung beans and steel cut oats.
- ¼cup steel cut oats
- ¼cup moong dal (or skinned split mung beans)
- 1tbsp ghee (or clarified butter or oil)
- ½ tspcumin (or jeera)
- ¼piece bay leaf (optional, tej patta)
- ¾tsp ginger paste (or grated, adrak)
- 2pinches turmeric (or haldi)
- ½ tspsalt (use as needed)
- ¼tsp red chilli powder (or pepper powder or green chili)
- 2tbsps onions (chopped)
- 1medium tomato (chopped finely)
- ¼cup mix vegetables (optional, carrots, beans)
- 2cups water
- 1pinch hing (or asafoetida)
- Wash oats and dal few times. Soak till the veggies are chopped.
- Add ghee to a pressure cooker and heat it.
- Add cumin and bay leaf. When the cumin splutters, add hing
- Add onions and fry until they turn pink or golden.
- Add ginger paste. Fry for a minute.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt
- Fry until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add red chili powder. Saute until the raw smell of chilli goes away.
- Add veggies. Fry for a minute or two.
- Drain the oats and dal. Add them to the cooker.
- Fry for 2 mins.
- Pour water. Give a good mix and check the salt. If needed add more.
- Cover the lid and pressure cook on a medium heat for 2 to 3 whistles. I cook for 2 whistles.
- Let the pressure go down. Open the lid and stir well
- Serve steel cut oats khichdi hot or warm.
Calories: 516 Calories
Total Carbohydrates: 67 gm
Protein: 21 gm