The paneer cheese in this fast and easy dinner doesn’t melt when it cooks. It browns instead, giving a toothsome texture to this indian classic packed with spinach and spices. Serve over brown basmati rice to round out this healthy meal.
Ingredients (4 serving)
- 8 ounces paneer cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 20 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- Toss paneer with turmeric in a medium bowl until coated. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the paneer and cook, flipping once, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add onion and jalapeño (if using) and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. (If the pan seems dry during cooking, add a little water, 2 tablespoons at a time.) Add garlic, ginger, garam masala and cumin. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and salt. Cook, stirring, until hot, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in yogurt and paneer.
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Per serving: 382 calories; 24 g fat(12 g sat); 5 g fiber; 19 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 223 mcg folate; 64 mg cholesterol; 11 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 17,159 IU vitamin A; 10 mg vitamin C; 700 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 641 mg sodium; 815 mg potassium.
Watch Recipe of Saag Paneer:
Credits: Nisha Madhulika
Watch more recipes on Youtube channel of Nisha Madhulika