Methi Matar Malai – Fenugreek and Green Peas Curry, has a creamy texture. It is made with green peas and methi (fenugreek leaves). The bitterness of methi is well complimented with the sweetness of matar. Cream and khoya helps to get the perfect creamy texture.
- Green Peas – 1 cup
- Fenugreek leaves (Methi) – 1 bunch
- Cream – 1/2 cup
- Tomato – 1 (pureed)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Milk – if needed for gravy
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Onion – 1
- Green Chilly – 1
- Cashew nuts/ Almonds – 1 tbsp
- Poppy seeds (khus khus) – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Curd – 1 tbsp
- Ginger – 1/2 ” piece
- Cinnamon – 1/2 ” stick
- Cloves – 3
- Cardoon – 1
- Roast all the ingredients under “to grind” except curd. Make a paste of it with the curd and keep aside.
- Remove the methi leaves, discard the stem. Soak it in hot water for 5 minutes and drain it well.
- Heat butter in a pan, add the cumin seeds.
- Add the chili powder, turmeric powder, ground paste and the tomato puree and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the green peas (matar), fenugreek leaves(methi) and malai (cream).
- Add milk as needed to get the desired gravy consistency.
- Boil for 5 minutes until the gravy thickens and the ingredients are cooked.
- Garnish with some fresh cream and serve with any roti varieties.
- A low fat version of the same recipe can be made by using fat free half and half or evaporated milk instead of cream.