Chicken seekh kabab is made of minced chicken mixed with spices and grilled on skewers typically inside a tandoor but an oven will do just fine. I had the best kababs in an Indian restaurant in Michigan and had tried once before to recreate it but couldn’t quite match the taste. I gave up on kebab’s till my bff sent me this recipe she made for a potluck and she insisted I try it..Finally after a year I got around to making this and they came out so well that I almost wanted to kick myself for not trying it sooner. I made a few small changes to accommodate the audience at home who don’t like eggs so I didn’t use them for binding, instead I used bread crumbs. Chicken kababs make a nice accompaniment with rice / naan or for people like me – a meal in itself. Squeeze lemon juice on the kababs before serving to give them a nice tang.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Wait time: 2 hours
Cooking Time: 20 minute
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 egg (optional) or 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- salt to taste
- juice from 1/2 lemon
To be ground to a paste
- 3-4 green chilies
- 1/2 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 3 tablespoon coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, ground to a fine powder (optional)
Equipment: Oven (preheated at 400 F) and Skewers (3-4)
- Grind all the ingredients into a smooth paste and mix it with the ground chicken.
- Add 1 egg or 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and butter/oil to the paste and mix well. Refrigerate the marinated chicken for about 2 hours (if possible).
- Put the chicken paste on the skewers and arrange on a greased baking sheet in an oven preheated at 400 F. [Add more bread crumbs as needed to bind the chicken to the skewers]
- Let it cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- When done broil for about 2 minutes till they turn brown. Serve with raw onion rings and lemon wedges.
If you are having trouble with the chicken not adhering to the skewers do this – shape the chicken in the shape of the rod on the greased baking sheet and then insert the skewers through it and carefully place the sheet in the oven.
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (7.1 ounces).
Per Serving: 383.5 calories;
Calories from Fat: 133.59g;
Total Fat: 14.34g;
Total Carbs: 13.06g;