Korma is a gravy dish that is usually made of spices, nuts, yogurt, seeds, coconut, vegetables and meat. It is said to have been originated in the Indian sub-continent during the Mughal era. This chicken korma tastes creamy and delicious. It is great to enjoy this with steamed basmati rice, Jeera rice or Indian breads like Naan, roti orparatha.
There are so many ways a korma is made, most of them are adapted to the regional cuisines. So the ingredients used may differ. Most korma recipes use poppy seeds
This chicken korma recipe is one of the best made with minimum ingredients that one can find in most Asian kitchens. This tastes best after 2 hours of preparation as the chicken absorbs the flavours of spices used.
- ½kg chicken (bone-in)
- 3tbsp yogurt or curd
- ¾ to 1tsp garam masala (or korma masala)
- 1 to 1 ¼tsp red chili powder (less spicy variety, minimum ½ tsp)
- Salt as needed (I used ½ tsp sea salt)
To fry and make paste
- 1 ½ to 2 oil or ghee
- 2 to 3green cardamoms
- 1cup sliced onions
- 4almonds (optional)
- 4tbsps yogurt (or ¼ cup curd for paste)
For chicken korma gravy
- 1small bay leaf
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1cardamom (elaichi)
- 1 to 1 ¼cup water for gravy
- More salt for gravy as needed (I used about ½ tsp)
- ½ Coriander powder
- ½ to ¾tsp garam masala
- ¼tsp red chili powder (optional, for colour)
- handful of chopped coriander leave
- Marinate chicken with curd, ginger garlic paste, turmeric, salt, red chilli powder and garam masala.
- Cover this and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan with oil and add cardamoms. Add sliced onions and fry them until golden brown. Add cashews and almonds. Cool these completely.
- Add the cooled onions and nuts to a blender jar.
- Add yogurt as well.
- Make a smooth paste of these. Set it aside.
- To the same pan, add 1 tsp oil and heat it.
- Sauté bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom in oil for a min.
- Add marinated chicken. Fry on a medium heat until the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes away.
- Add the onion curd paste. Pour 1 cup water and mix well.
- Add salt, coriander powder and garam masala. If desired, you can also add chili powder for colour.
- Cover and cook on a low flame until chicken is cooked to tender.
- Cook further till the gravy reaches a desired consistency.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve chicken korma with plain basmati rice, naan, roti or paratha.