Akki roti are simple breakfast made with rice flour, onions, carrots and cumin. They are served with chutney.
Time to cook: 20 minutes
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp. fresh coconut grated (optional)
- ½ carrot grated. (can substitute with bottle gourd, optional)
- 2 green chilies deseeded
- Coriander leaves handful chopped
- ½ tsp cumin/jeera
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
- Oil as needed
- 1 tsp chana dal soaked (optional)
- ½ tsp ginger grated
- Add 1 cup flour to a bowl along with other ingredients. Mix everything well.
- Add water little by little and make a soft dough. Divide the dough to 4 equal balls.
- Grease a pan with very little oil.
- Place a bowl on the tawa, begin to spread with your fingers to make a round roti. It can be made thick or thin to suit your taste. If making thick, make finger sized wholes with one and half inches apart.
- Heat it on high flame and toast it on both the sides. After flipping it sprinkle some oil to prevent dryness.
- When brown spots appear, roti is done. Do not overcook it may turn hard.
- Cool the tawa completely and then spread another roti or use 2 pans to make 2 rotis at one time.
- Serve akki roti with chutney.